Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Power Of Poetry

I truly believe in the the Power Of Poetry!

I remember reading and hearing poetry as a child and being transformed. I remember the first time I saw spoken word poetry performed in person at my high school. And I remember the first time I watched Russel Simmons on the HBO series Def Poetry Jam and being lit up by the power of words, of poetry spoken with conviction and passion. A beautiful mixture of performance and writing. Two of my biggest passions.

There were so many amazing poets (too many to even acknowledge and mention them all) that inspired and helped shape me as I grew into the writer that I am today. Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss were poets that awakened my imagination and inspired me to dream as a child. And as I grew into a young woman, poets such as Maya Angelou and Alice Walker reminded me what it meant and that I was allowed to be a strong, confident woman. They provided me with such faith and courage even when it seemed that all hope was lost.

Even though I still struggle. And have days where I feel defeated. I know that a....

‘Loss of vitality
Signals emptiness
But let
Me tell you:
Depletion can be
Just the thing.
You are using
Have used up
The old life
The old way.

Now will rush in
The engectic,
The flexible
The unmistakable
Knowing
That life is life
Not mood’

And because...

‘It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet’

I know that I will travel far. Perhaps...

‘...leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.’

All I can do is keep on going. Keep taking the next step. And hope that I won’t get lost and wind up in...

‘The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or the waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

NO!
That's not for you!

Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.’

Life changing lessons and anecdotes. Beautiful words, melodies and rhythms shared through poetry that helped to guide my life. I hope that my words, my poetry is powerful enough to one day to have that affect on someone else.

Rummaging through all of my saved old writing I came across TONS of poetry I had written when I was younger. In elementary school, middle school, junior high and a lot in high school. It was one my favorite genres of writing growing up and still is. But somewhere between the end of high school until now I completely lost touch. I had poetry within me but I would stifle ideas. Maybe scribble a word or two down on a stray piece of paper, in my quote or idea book but then close it and never finish. Leaving that poem to never breath in the light of day or grace the ears of another soul.

Reading “The Artist’s Way” has helped me get back in touch with my poetry and a buried dream of mine to perform my poetry publicly at a spoken word or poetry lounge.

Well that buried dream is surfacing TONIGHT!

Tonight I will be performing one piece of my reborn spoken word poetry.

If you aren’t busy this evening please join me at Da Poetry Lounge, 544 N. Fairfax, LA, CA, 90036. The first show starts at 9PM and the line starts forming at 8PM. There’s $5 cover. Get there early!

To all of the poets who have written poems that were never published, never heard or appreciated - this is for you.

As they reminded us in The Dead Poet’s Society, Carpe Diem!

Let’s go seize it then!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there to cheer you on... As usual,you inspire me with every word!

    ReplyDelete